The village is attested in 1850 (mentioned in a nomenclature of Prince Alexandru Cuza), but its roots date back to the Daci period. In 1900, the village had 150 inhabitants, but today there are 32 houses and 11 families with elderly people (over 80 years old), who live here in serenity, quiet and happy, keeping with holy the ancient customs and traditions.
According to a curious tradition, when a person dies here, there are made three crosses of wood: one for the grave, one is put at a crossroad and one at the fountain in the village hearth.
Many foreign tourists are attracted to the beauty of the village and its surroundings, to the simplicity and cleanliness of life here. In the winter, the small houses seem to be drawn on the immaculate snow white, while in the spring they are animated together with the nature and the green is interrupted only by the color of the winding road passing through the middle of the village. In the summer, the beneficial sun penetrates the branches of the trees, when the autumn arrives, it sitts slowly and beautifully colored over the village.
A delegation from the Department of Agrotourism of the University of Vienna came to Romania to see this unique village. The Austrians are interested in investing here, making a holiday village where will recreate the atmosphere of 300 years ago, where the tourists can come to live in the traditional small wooden houses, managing the household as the village people do and live the holiday as a true local. The existing houses will be protected, reconditioned and will form a "village museum".
According to the legend, in this village would have lived tall men over two meters, lumberjacks, who were carrying their trunks on their shoulders. They have raised their huts with their hands, first among the trees, living almost isolated, there in the middle of the forest, rarely descending to the river's meadow. Later they have cut up trees and have created a village hearth, where they built modest little houses with gardens which they started working on.
The name of the village comes from the fact that people used "firejuri" (saw cutters) to cut the wood. The 70 wooden churches located in Vălcea County were made of wood cut from the Firijba Forest.