Belvedere Mansion, so named because it provided th visual perspective at the time of construction, originally belonged to the scholar Dinicu Golescu. În1814, it becomes the owner of the domain located on the banks of the Dâmboviţa River, in the Regie area. On the old property, there were remnants of walls of a very old house, from 1600, which was believed that it belonged to Lady Stanca, the wife of the Ruler Michael the Brave.
Parts of the walls have been used for the construction of the new building, which was called the Belvedere Palace.
Set in a huge park with secular trees, with the very old foundation walls, showing characteristics of the Brâncoveanu period, the palace can be considered as the oldest building in Bucharest inhabited continuously.
In 1850, the niece of Golescu married Effingham Grant, an engineer, a Scottish aristocrat and received the palace as dowry. Between the years 1865-1870, Effingham Grant started of the building renovations bringing it close to the current one.
For considering of a considerable antiquity of the building, several elements concur: the thick walls, the flat bricks, the existence of the observation turret, the moat surrounding the building on three sides, the niches for sentries, the century-old trees. After restoration, the palace received the name Grant.
The only underground gallery in the Capital, cataloged as a historical monument
The palace was famous not only for the outside construction, but also for his underground gallery with the cellars decorated with Italian faience and the refuge tunnels, around which were woven many legends. A tunnel was linking the mansion with Chiajna Monastery, another was reaching to the Cotroceni Palace.
It says that it would have been used by the revolutionaries of Tudor Vladimirescu during the Revolution of 1821. The refuge tunnels, classified historical monument, collapsed during the earthquakes of 1940 and 1977 and the bombing of 1944. It remains visible nowadays yet the entrance vents and tunnels segments.
Part of the National Heritage of Romania, the building houses now the Centre for Recreation and Personal Development "Golescu Grant Mansion".