Mraconia Monastery has a long history, beginning in 1523, when Nicolae Garlisteanu, the ruler of Severin, decided to build a church in this fairytale like place, on the bank of the Danube. The old monastery underwent several renovations and reconstructions over time. In 1967 it was demolished by the communist authorities, its ruins being flooded. When the Danube water level drops a lot, the cross-shaped ruins of the old place of worship may be seen. That is why the locals called it “The Sunken Monastery”.
Only as late as 1993 is the cornerstone set for a new church in this piece of heaven. The church will be dedicated to the “Saint Archangels Michael and Gabriel” and to the “Holy Trinity”. The two places of worship, one rising from the water, the other one rising to the sky, make up a spiritual whole, which shall last over time.
The new church, erected on top of a rock, is built of fire-hardened bricks and has a stone foundation. It is cross-shaped, with a pronaos, a naos and an altar. The porch opens up towards the Danube and the buttress looks upon the Almaj massif. Seen from the water, the building resembles a monastery from Mount Athos. Every single passerby is sure to be impressed by the miracle revealed in front of their eyes.
From 2018, Mraconia Monastery was transformed from a monastery into a convent. In this wonderful place, the spectacular landscape blends harmoniously with the beauty of the monastic settlement and with the spirituality released from the inside, discharging benefic energies to those who come to admire the place and introspect within the beneficent silence.