Ghighiu Monastery was erected within the confines of an old wooden church founded at the end of the 16th century by the logothete Coresi. Wandering in Codrii Vlasiei in search of a place to build a new church, the monk Agapie, together with his four disciples, discovered here a spring of pure water, that would prove to be healing. Therefore, they decided that that was the chosen place.
The existing church, dedicated to “The Spring of Healing” - the only one in the country to have such patronage - was erected between 1858 and 1866. From 1955 to 1960, the monastic fortress expanded, being provided with monk cells, workshops, a refectory, a parish house, a bishop house, a guest chamber, cells for the confessors. Built of bricks, the church is clover shaped, being divided into the altar, the naos, and the pronaos.
The entrance door is of sculpted wood, bordered to the right and to the left by the faces of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul. The iconostasis, of gold-coated sculpted limewood, is a masterpiece in its entirety. The painting is signed by the great painter Gheorghe Tatarescu. The pulpit and the iconostasis are works performed with much artistic skill, decorated with flower motifs or oak leaves, inspired by nature and the popular tradition.
Within the monastery there is a museum of old ecclesiastical art, which has impressive book collections, many of the objects being brought here as early as the 16th century. The Icon of the Mother of God is displayed in a place of honor; a miracle-working icon of the 16th century, a gift from the Bishop Vasile Samaha of Sergiopolis in Syria. The icon was known at the time as being a monger of good deeds and working miracles.
In the monastery yard there is the famous fountain called the “Spring of Healing”, with pure and holy water. For pilgrims and locals alike, this is a place of introspection and introversion, which brings silence and peace. Many of the believers enjoyed the blessings conferred by the miracle-working icon and the healing water of the spring.