Places of interest25 June 2018

The „Nicolae Romanescu” Park of Craiova – one of the most beautiful parks in Romania which was declared a historical monument

The largest natural garden of Eastern Europe has a surface of 96 ha in the capital of Oltenia with a rare landscape splendor

The „NicolaeRomanescu” Park of Craiova

The „NicolaeRomanescu” Park of Craiova

The Bibescu Park, as it was initially called, was designed between 1901 and 1903 at the initiative of the mayor of that period, Nicolae Romanescu, based on the plans of the French architect Édouard Redont. The plans got the golden medal at the World Expo in Paris in 1900.

The opening of the park took place in 1903 and was attended by King Carol I, Queen Elisabeth, Prince Ferdinand and Prime Minister Dimitrie Sturza.

A genuine natural treasure, the park hosts over 250 valuable tree species, over 4 ha of natural lakes, an island for swans, bridges and a small zoo. The landscape is complemented by several constructions full of history with extraordinary architecture that survived over the years.

The Suspended Bridge – built between 1901 and 1902 it covers the lake connecting the two of the park’s hills. A specific Romantic not is given by the lake on which boats are floating and by this beautiful bridge from which you can see a large portion of the magnificent landscape of the park.

The Charmed Castle – it resembles a medieval castle, a product of the imagination and talent of the architect Édouard Redont. It was created as a shelter for the water basins used for the park irrigation and later on a restaurant was opened inside the castle. Currently, the castle which resembles past times with kings and queens, princes and princesses can be visited and admired. It contributes to the historical but also Romantic nuance of the entire park.

The Bibescu Palace – it is located far from the traveled alleys and complements the historical but also the architectural nuance of the place. At the entrance, the following are written: “In this building, called the Bibescu Palace, on June 26 and 27, the prince Alexandru Ioan Cuza stayed here during his visit to Craiova”.

At the south-eastern border there is a hippodrome (opened in 1903) which has a surface of 20 ha and it was once used for horse races.

The park also has an amphitheater for shows with several shelters and restaurants.


Elena Radu




  • 112 - Apeluri de urgenta (Nr. unic de urgenta)
  • 118932 - Informatii numere de telefon
  • 1958 - Ora exacta
  • 0256-437973 - Centrul de Informare Turistica Timisoara
  • 0256-493806 - Informatii CFR
  • 0256-493471 - Autogara Autotim Timisoara
  • 0256-493639 - Aeroportul International Timisoara
  • 0256-220835 - Oficiul Registrul Comertului
  • 0256-408300 - Primaria Timisoara
  • 0256-493694 - Consiliul Judeţean Timis
  • 0256-493393 - Timpark ( N. Titulescu 10- ADP)
  • 0256-402703 - Politia rutiera
  • 0256-246112 - Politia locală


  • Radio Taxi - 0256-940
  • Euro Taxi - 0256-941
  • Pro Taxi - 0256-942
  • Fan Taxi - 0256-944
  • Tudo Taxi - 0256-945
  • Autogen Taxi - 0256-988


International editions:   English | Italiano | Română