The monumental, historical, cultural, entertainment and tourist complex Mogoşoaia is a Public Cultural Institution under the authority of the General Council of Bucharest. It lies in the homonymous village in Ilfov County, located about 15 km away from downtown Bucharest.
Currently the area is composed of: Mogoșoaia Palace which now houses the Brancovenesc Art Museum with exhibits of valuable paintings and sculptures (a collection totaling about 300 pieces), Cuhnia (the royal kitchen), the watchtower and the Targoviste Gate, a residence and conference center, a restaurant, the Glacier (which served to store ice), the English park with Italian-style gardens, a church dedicated to St. George built by Constantin Brancoveanu in 1688, the Chapel Gh. Bibescu (which houses the tombs of the former owners of Mogoșoaia and of their relatives: Prince Nicolae G. Bibescu and his wife Helene Louise Ney d’Elchingen, Prince George Bibescu and his wife, Valentine de Caraman Chimay, Princess Elisabeth Bibescu and Princes Mihai Basarab Brâncoveanu and George Basarab Brâncoveanu) and N. Bibescu greenhouses.
The Royal Court Mogoşoaia was attested by the end of the seventeenth century but the construction was completed at the beginning of the eighteenth century. Mogoşoaia Palace was built in 1702 by Constantin Brâncoveanu, Prince of Wallachia between 1688 and 1714. The complex belongs to the brâncovenesc architectural style.
The Palace takes its name from that of the widow of the Romanian boyar Mogoș, who owned the land it was built on. In 1912 Prince George Valentin Bibescu gave the Palace to his wife (Martha Bibescu) as a present. Martha Bibescu, poet and writer, renovates and converts the derelict property into a place for cultural meetings. Martha Bibescu is one of the most distinguished figures of the Romanian interwar period and of the European aristocracy of the twentieth century.
For the refurbishment she spent all her wealth from the books she wrote. In 1945 Martha Bibescu left the country and gave the Palace to her daughter Valentina and her husband, Dimitrie Ghika-Comănești. In 1949 it was nationalized by the communist government.
Mogoşoaia hides a sublime landscape, where you can have a quiet moment full of fresh air. Here the tourists have the opportunity to admire an architectural masterpiece. The amazing garden looks like a picture of a hedge maze from an English park and it is surrounded by a peaceful lake and a forest. Also, sometimes tourists can enjoy art exhibitions (painting and sculpture) and the restaurant of the Mogoşoaia Palace is used as a location for events, weddings or christenings.
In addition, the Bucharest City Hall has set up a dedicated area for picnics, thus the residents and the tourists can find here a special place to relax, away from hustle and bustle of Bucharest. For more information on “Brancovan Palaces” Cultural Center of Mogoşoaia and for the visit schedule go to the website