Located in a fairytale scenery in the middle of the Gurghiului Mountains, surrounded by fir forests, the Hunting Castle, as it was later named, begins its story in 1923, when King Ferdinand took possession of 4 hectares of forest and pasture in Lăpușna area.
The deforestation plan, ordered by the king, was made in such a way that the property has the shape of the map of ”Greater Romania”. The main building was erected according to the plans of the royal palace Architect, Count Lenui, and after his death, the construction was continued by the Czech architect, Carol Liman. After the death of King Ferdinand (1927), the castle is inherited by Prince Nicolae, who donated it in 1939 to King Carol II, who used the castle as a hunting lodge for the royal family.
After the abdication of King Mihai in 1947, the communist leaders took over the hunting castle and brought several changes, while preserving its original architecture. The architecture of this building is inspired by the Peles Castle from Sinaia, all the decorative elements inside being handmade. The carefully chosen spruce wood is the main material of the building, laying on a stone foundation. The roof is made of hand-carved resonant spruce wood. The wooden sculptures that adorn the castle, although more than 90 years old, have been excellently preserved, without traces of cracks. 6 unique terracotta stoves, made in the Vienna workshops can be seen inside.
The main entrance is made on a stained glass door that symbolizes hunting, shepherding and local customs. Only one original stained glass window is missing, the one with the Royal House emblem, which is supposed to have been replaced by order of Nicolae Ceausescu.
The royal nobility of the castle has been preserved until nowadays, even by the current owners, who opened it to the tourists. Currently, the rooms once intended for kings and queens can be rented by tourists who love history, nature, hunting and mountain sports. The spectacular landscape of the mountain offers tourists the joy of extraordinary sceneries surrounding the castle.